Sunday 20 September 2015

Ultra Europe 2015


IT'S THE ULTRA EUROPE FESTIVAL! 

Date: 10-12 July 2015
Venue: Poljud Stadium, Split
Partners-in-crime: Friends from all over the world!


In my home country, some minority group of people regard me as an 'immigrant'. This despite the fact that I have the exact same citizenship status as them, gained my citizenship the same way they do and am the 3rd-generation born in my country. It's complicated.

Yet, during UME, I was regarded as a 'friend' by the other 150 flags. I was 'neighbour' to those who recognised the flag I carry. I was 'kin' to those carrying the same flag. And I was 'family' to those closest to me. 

Never did the other 150+ country flags/nations made me feel/regarded me as an immigrant. Plainly, diversity was celebrated by the festival-goers. Asians, Americans, Europeans, Africans and every other race shared a bottle. Crowds applauded to gay couples making out. Because they were not repulsive. But because they were beautiful and accepted. Ultra (and Tomorrowland as well actually) is unique because no other festivals gather so many nations together to celebrate music and diversity. 

For awhile there, you could just imagine how the world could be without conflict and the politics. Just for one moment, maybe you could glimpse the seemingly impossible. 

Whoever said that festivals achieve nothing, could not be more wrong. You'll never know diversity and unity until you've been to one like Ultra.


There were quite a few groups of Malaysians representing the Jalur Gemilang in Split.




At first I thought they were dressed as first aid guys. Then they told me they were dressed in the Swiss flag. Pardon me. 


Like seriously, the festival grounds weren't good enough that you have to dance on top toilet stalls? 

One of those things that usually irks me at festivals are toilets. Ultra was no different. Toilet facilities was basically down the drain, on the floor (literally). It's not that there weren't enough stalls, they did prepare loads. But towards the end of the night every night, it tends to get real disgusting and at one point, peeing outside (on the floor, beside the toilet stalls) was less irksome. It's just one of those 'process' you gotta go through in every festival.

Another thing I wasn't quite comfortable with with Ultra (and I think this applies specifically to Ultra, although I am aware it happens everywhere) is the level of security. It's not about the safety of the festival goers because there's really not much to be worried about. It's about the outsiders climbing through the fences of the festival grounds to get in. Basically, the fences are pretty shit and you could just climb over and get in free. Seriously, in the short time I sat on the curb to eat my hot dog on the first day, I must have seen about 10 people climbing over and getting in free. The security guards were trying to stop them but they were clearly outnumbered. I think some of them even gave up and some even took bribes just to close an eye. Security got better on the second and third day. They added more staff on the second day and then covered the fences with banners on the third day so people couldn't look inside. But even with that, some eventually got through. Honestly, by then, bribes must have been the root of the cause because bribing the security guards are dirt cheap. Paying 40krones for entry instead of EUR130? Who wouldn't!?  



Making friends before you even enter the festival grounds is what its all about. It's also perfectly fine and I believe, an expected polite gesture, to share your drinks with strangers. 


I can't decide if having a festival surrounding a stadium (although there were loads happening outside the stadium, which was still the festival grounds and where other stages are located) was a good thing or bad. I like that the stadium offers elevated seats, so I could chill by them while also having a view of the stage/set. I could imagine my vision of the stage being blocked had I been sitting on flat ground. I don't know much about acoustics but my guess is the seats 'contained' the sounds? However, the stadium also makes it feel less 'festival'. In comparison to festivals like Zoukout (Singapore) or Tomorrowland (Belgium), the 'boundaries' between the stages creates a more confined-feel. At least for me, I prefer one where I could just basically walk from one tail end to another without passing gates/fences. I guess it really doesn't make a big difference but if we're into details, this would be one of them. 










Of course, festivals aren't complete without rides!




Croatia is amazing as it is, but Ultra Europe was truly the icing on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment