Monday 10 March 2014

Ho Chi Minh City

4th March 2014 to 9th March 2014.
Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City)
w. brandybear

We (me and brandybear) planned our HCMC trip a year in advance. We bought our flight during the April 2013 AirAsia sales for RM200 return + baggage.

It goes to say, it was a very much anticipated trip when you've been planning it for a year.

Bear worked at HCMC previously, so he already had in mind what's good. I basically just went along and point out the places I want to go. Easy-peasy.

 Accommodation @ Townhouse50
It was at hidden location but thankfully, our cabbie knew the road and bear has a good eye spotting the small sign.
It's a backpackers place but I book us a private ensuite because it was only RM100 a night. 



Bun Ba Hoe: My meal most days 

We went for this spa treatment @ Cat Moc Spa, on recommendations by our accommodation guy.
It was a full treatment at a luxury setting for RM60. How does one resists? 
Highly recommended.

Beers were about <RM2 each.
I drank beer day and night because it was cheaper than coke.
I was a little sceptical about water there. 

 

Vietnamese coffee.
They have a strong chocolatey taste, which I love.
You could drink it hot (in the picture), plain with plenty of ice (my favourite) or with ice and plenty of condensed milk (bear's favourite).

I bought about 20 packs of this coffee home from Trung Nguyen, their local chain store.
DO NOT buy from outside sellers because they are crazy expensive and their quality is questionable.

I bought my first 500g of Vietnamese coffee from Ben Thanh Market for about RM50. I wasn't even sure of the quality of the coffee. Silly me.
Bought my next 19 packs from the chain store cause it was only <RM15/pack. 
Brough it home and mummy said the chain store coffee tastes better.
Lesson learnt. 

SIDE NOTE: 
When in Ben Thanh Market, bargain like hell. I bought 2 pairs of Vietnamese traditional clothing (me and my sister) for ~RM60 when the lady originally charged me ~RM350. 
Crazy.




The Opera House
Too bad there were no shows during the days we were there.



Post Office, but not really for post.
Plenty of tour operators here if you are interested.



Barbecued frogs. 

Went for a foodie tour with XO Tours.
It was quite expensive but it was my birthday dinner (yes, the trip was for my birthday!) and so we would have spent that much on a boring restaurant dinner anyways.
I definitely love experience and thought it was worth every penny. I had good tour guides too! 



My experience with XO Tours was also captured on video!

Since it was my birthday dinner, my Bear surprised me with a cake!
No, seriously surprised. 
Usually, I'm very suspicious on my birthday about surprise parties. 
So good job teddy bear! 
Thank you & I love you!

 For my birthday dinner, I tried balut (duck foetus). 
My verdict: NEVER AGAIN!




Riffle shooting at Chu Chi Tunnels. 
Another thing I was looking forward to during my trip. 


This is the Vietnamese troop's war time food: Baked keledek (potato) with peanut sauce. 
Either I was hungry, or I really like this because I finished it all.

Chill Skybar at ABC Tower, Saigon.


I would definitely return to Vietnam soon. There's so much more to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment