Wednesday 31 December 2014

Amsterdam

26th December 2014 - 29th December 2014
Netherlands (Amsterdam)
w. ellie & brandybear

After Brussels, I head straight to Amsterdam. It was half snowing in Ams! But I was too frozen to enjoy it.

I walked around pretty aimlessly in Amsterdam. In retrospect, I should have planned a little bit carefully and maybe visit some art museums (you won't believe how many art museums there are in Ams). 
Oh well, I'm returning in Spring. Many more Dutch adventures to come!


 Knoflook sauce is the shiznitt!
Bought whole bottle from nearby Albert Heijn (local supermarket in Ams).


 In Amsterdam, Ellie and I realized that 'tortilla' meant Spanish omelet. 
I thought it was a kind of Spanish wrap!
#likeamoron
My Spanish cuisine knowledge is the epitome of failure.

Stayed in Cocomama Hostel near Federicksplein.
It's quite central and Tram 4 leading straight to Central Station/Dam Square stops right in front.
They have a kitty too!
When I return, this will be my go-to again.

If you happen to stop at Duivendrecht station when you arrive, take my advice and get the 24/48/72 hour transportation pass at the ticket booth.
The pass applies for the train, metro and tram.
I tell you this because the ticket booth at this station is outside and there's no service desk for wondering tourists.
Spent a good half hour wondering if the the daily pass applies to everything or just trains.
Another hour to find my way to Federicksplein, after all the station changes.

One way tickets cost EUR2.10 but every paper ticket has a EUR1.00 charge.
So if you get a daily pass, you're only charged EUR1.00 for paper once.

Trams operate on an hourly pass.
One hour for EUR2.80.
So travel as much as you can within that hour if you skimmed on the daily pass.
Then walk home, i guess.

I like the privacy curtains, even though it is only a hostel.


Joop (pronounce: Yo-op) loves food. 
But he's on a diet.
He was eating long green beans and milk from his food bowl.
Vegetarian is not his thing, so he's always eyeing on everybody else's food.
Fat kitty.

Love love love the mini-Dutch pancakes + mountain of icing sugar.

 Rembrantplein: Amsterdam Christmas Market destination.

I'm a fan of Radler anything. I like my beer really light and fruity.
Like Shandy..
Like fruit juice..



Spiff fans should try the Fresh Mint Tea while on a roll.
It helps the throat.




 The canals in Amsterdam, you won't believe how scenic they are.



 A hybrid car charging up at the side of the road. 
Very eco.
Thou I don't get why would one advertise that it is a hybrid car with those ugly graphics and stickers.




The Red Light District at sunset.



 Took a river cruise at night to see Amsterdam from the canals.
Unfortunately, this picture was taken behind glass panels. 

I took a canal cruise with See Amsterdam for EUR17.50. 
It was very scenic and I would have enjoyed the cruise better if the price was cheaper. 
For EUR17.50, the whole thing was to bland and I guess I had higher expectations when it costs so much.
I would suggest finding cheaper alternatives, if there are any.

My visit coincided with the Amsterdam Light Festival!
It's basically light fixtures along the canal, each with a meaning behind them (although I find certain meanings a little doubtful and unrelated).

You could take a water cruise or get a trail map for a walking hunt. 
I took a water cruise.
Had the weather been less chilly, I would have opted to walk. 







Some of the light features were quite interactive as well.
The tulips here blooms from underwater when someone pumps the bicycle pump on the bridge.

BTW, the tulips bloom is another reason for my return to Amsterdam in Spring.



 Used a phone camera for this shot and a postcard-perfect picture appears.
Oh Amsterdam.



Homemade video of my trip to Amsterdam!

Bought our flight home for 60quid/person including 20kg baggage hold.
Was supposed to be 110quid/person because I only booked it 2 weeks before flight date!
That was a Friday, when I looked it up.
Waited till Tuesday.
At the stroke of midnight, got it for half price.


Recommendation: Try Sandeman-Amsterdam's free tour. It's the same company which I tried in Brussels. Was suppose to make it to one of the tour but it was full! We arrived on time but the tour guide advice us to arrive 30 minutes earlier to ensure we get slot. Next time then.

No comments:

Post a Comment