Tuesday 1 September 2015

5 reasons why budget travel may not be for you

This is me at 12am, getting some sleep at the open-air Lake Bled (Slovenia) train station, next to the toilet. My train is arriving at 4am. 

I was blog surfing until I came across How Far From Home's post on the reality of travelling full time. I can't say I've travelled full time but I've definitely had my fair share of budget travels. Many times, I travel without the notion of 'go hard or go home'. I travel because I want to, as long as I can afford the bare minimum. But that meant that there's a lot I have to agonise over.


Spot my travel partner sleeping in the main train station in Salzburg at 7am. 

1. Some experiences can cost you quite a bit
Will you forgo a tour of the Giza Pyramids when in Egypt? Will you walk away from a sky-diving adventure in New Zealand? Will you miss the chance to see the Eiffel Tower in Paris? Many times, these experiences that are documented on photos excluded the heavy price tag it comes with. Wouldn't look to enticing now that you know my hot air ballon ride over Cappaddocia costs EUR120 per hour, does it? But you're already there, will you miss the chance to do it? When will be the next time you'll be back in this amazing city with this fantastic opportunity waiting for you? It plays with your mind and budget. I don't know about everyone else, but my budget always loses.

2. Flexibility is history
 Let's face it. Accommodation, flights (especially flights!) and certain entrance tickets are cheaper when pre-booked. If you're on a budget, the more pressure it is that you pre-book to save whatever few bucks you can. But it'll cost you your flexibility. You're now trapped with this pre-booked selection, unable to switch to a better/preferred last-minute deal. If you continue travelling budget, be prepared to be faced with this dilemma over and over. And over. 

3. You're always on the hunt for the cheapest necessities 
I can't remember how many kebabs I have devoured during my 3 months of continuous travels. If it's not kebab, it's home-cooked pasta. Even with kebabs and pasta, I'm watching my budget like a hawk. If anyone's going to charge me a dollar for my water, no thank you. I have my own water bottle. If it's empty, I'll refill it at the toilet (if it's drinkable). If not, BEG! Kidding, I'll just order something more of value to the money I'll be paying. It's a continuous cycle of keeping the bank account plump and me depressed. 

4. What is comfort?
That's right. Forget that there's ever the concept of 'comfort'. If that stuffy, bumpy bus ride from Prague to Budapest cost only EUR5.50, instead of a 'luxurious' (it's only luxurious by budget traveller standard) train ride; stuffy, bumpy bus it is. You think a 8-bed dorm is bad? Try at 26-bed dorm in a (re-furbished) cellar. By the way, sheets don't do themselves. You're paying EUR10 per night and you expect magically self-fitting sheets? You must be delusional. Also, please don't complain about that wet lump of hair + unidentified organic/inorganic material on the bathroom drainer or that peculiar smell of your hostel duvet.


One of the many buildings we've stayed. 

5. Emotions do run high 
My travel partner and I have been to about 15 or 16 countries together now. I like to say we've got the rhythm of travelling together by now. But when you travel on a budget, it can put some strain on the relationship. When you've got a bus to catch and you're short of time, frustration could get the better of us, especially when it comes to getting the right directions to the bus station. Of course, this wouldn't have matter if you've got the right budget for a new pair of bus tickets. 

So hey, budget travel isn't for the faint hearts. But you've got to endure it to come out from where I did to appreciate this form of travelling. Don't remember the number of times I just stumbled across something amazing because I refuse to take the bus but chose to walk instead. But I can definitely remember the travellers I've met and the stories we've shared. 







No comments:

Post a Comment