Tuesday 10 March 2015

Iceland 2015: Dancing with Aurora Borealis

Winter 2015
Iceland

Iceland is the cheapest place (in 2015) and the furthest up north for me to see the aurora borealis, the northern lights. 
I have been wanting to see the northern lights for a couple of years now. I still can't believe my luck, that I actually get to catch these dancing lights twice!


 Dream came true.

If you're planning to take some good pictures, make sure you bring along a hyper-sensitive lens and a tripod (for long shutter exposure). The effect of an SLR and free-hand is the sucky-picture above.

Blamed myself over and over again for not bringing a tripod because I was too lazy.


I was quite torn initially between opting to go for a hunting tour because it was quite expensive and thought I could go hunting for it myself. Because I wanted to see them so badly, I paid for them and burned £30 via Reykjavik Excursions. RE is like a monopoly of the majority of the tours in Iceland and meets at the BSI station. They have pick ups and their services are generally well reviewed. 

The first night I was there, I was disappointed because the lights didn't show. So they rebook me for the next day. RE allows you to rebook for the same tour until satisfaction guaranteed. 

The second night I was there, the tour got cancelled because weather forecast just wasn't good enough. 

I almost gave up...

...till the last two nights in Iceland. 

The second last night, I saw it the first time ever in Stokksnes (near Hofn), about 5 hours drive from the city centre in Reykjavik. I was out hunting on my (our) own for the lights in a secluded lighthouse area. Took some advice from an ex-deputy mayor of the Hofn town, whom we seek some local advice from and looked at some weather forecasts. I guess with some effort and gut instinct, you could save yourself £30 but no guarantees.



It was beautiful. I love the childlike nature of the lights. They were also spontaneous. The experience was wonderful. 

The last night, I rebooked with RE again. Like the night before, the guide brought us to a lighthouse. Must be the aurora's fav spot. I saw it again, but this time, I refuse to take any pictures because I wanted to truly enjoy the experience without worrying about a good picture. One of the better decisions I've made during the trip. It is good to keep in mind that the experience is your's and you should enjoy it.  



One thing to note was the colours of the aurora was not as green as seen in the pictures. It was more misty in real life, just adds more to its mysterious nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment