Thursday 30 October 2014

Edinburgh

24th October 2014 to 28th October 2014.
Scotland (Edinburgh)
w. brandybear

My first trip since I arrived in UK. I've had recommendations to visit Scotland in autumn. If you google pictures of Scotland's autumn, you'll see what everyone meant.

We were a little late for autumn but we still managed to catch the end of the season.



Went for a Whiskey Masterclass. 
#expert

There were different varieties of tours available for everyone and the price varies accordingly too.
I chose the Masterclass (most expensive at 40quid/p & only available on booking) because it includes a short crash course on whiskey tasting. 
I may not be the best whiskey drinker out there (far from it), but knowledge is knowledge and I am curious to learn.
I discovered that I have very dull smell and taste senses. 

"Can you taste the smokey wood that lingers in the whiskey?"
"What wood?"

"You should be able to smell the barley in this combination."
"What barley?"

The Masterclass is only available at 10am. 
In my opinion, it was too early to drink, even if it was merely tasting.


The first 6 bottle of the Scotch Whiskey Experience collection. 
A gift to the original collector, who was then inspired to collect another 3000 bottles.

The collection is actually on loan from the owner, Diageo (corporation) to S.W.E. but the collection was collected by Brazilian Claive Vidiz. 
Over 3000+ bottles of whiskey from all over the world, some brand you are familiar with, some not. 

There was even a Burberry bottle! The very same founder as Burberry clothing line, Thomas Burberry. I later googled the bottle to find that it was one of the oldest whiskies.

As with each and every tourist trap, a souvenir shop must accompany.
I did get a bottle for my dad (Balvenie, 17years, old Jamaican Rum Cask).
I wanted to get something I could not buy at duty-free. So I was between a Port Wine cask or a Rum cask.
Dad said he wanted 'tropical'. Rum it is.

Scotch Whiskey is a unique blend by Master Blenders.
It is basically different aged whiskies from different distilleries mixed together to create a Scotch.
C.f. Single malt, which is a blend from a single distillery. This is why it is more pricey but also perfect combination for cigars. As each batch of cigars are different depending on its leaves and tobacco, the flexibility afforded by single malts allow it to pair (or not pair) with different cigars. Put it simply, while it is easier to produce commercial blended whiskey, it is not as easy to create cigars sufficiently consistent to pair with a 'fixed' blended's flavour.
I smelled a bottle of grain whiskey (an important addition to Scotch blends) at my crash course and there was no doubt I would never have tried it at 10am.
At 90% (approx.) alcohol content, it was clear as water. Could have tricked me into a shot of it.

Today, Master Blenders exists with the help of technology to keep measurements as close as possible. However, there is still a chance that it could vary and that makes each and every blend unique by a little (not enough for easy whiskey drinkers to distinguish).
In the days pre-dating technology, Master Blenders did it manually and so a good batch could costs a wealthy man a hefty sum because they were very much a one-off blend.
Many of today's Scotch Whiskey utilises American White Oak's bourbon casks. The Scots are 'recycling' used bourbon casks which are used once before it will hold whiskies forever more.
It is bourbon's characteristics that its casks be used only once (deriving 80% of its flavour from the cask).
As casks are quite expensive to be made, it makes sense to reuse them on whiskies. 
Hence, in comparison, bourbon has a stronger scent (for me at least) than whisky.

Whiskies age in a cask. That 12years whiskey you've been keeping in your den for the last 20 years is still 12years. 
#immortality
However, alcohol evaporates. If you've been keeping your bottle of whiskey in the sauna the last 20 years, I doubt the label is still intact, much less a single drop of the whiskey.


Every Harry Potter fanatics would know The Elephant House when in Edinburgh.
Harry Potter was written here by J.K. Rowling. However, this was not the initial place where the first book was written. The first was written at the Nicolsons's (now known as the Spoon).
There really isn't much about the cafe besides the fact that Rowling penned her millions here from the 3rd book onwards. 
But Potter-fans will go all the way.
However, I did enjoy my downtime at the cafe because the food was not too bad.


 Went up to the clock tower at St Giles church.
Would you believe the same clock mechanism still works and times the bells today?



You can actually pay (5quid/p) to explore the clock towers of the church, plus someone will be there to give you a short tour about the church.
They'll be there to answer your each and every question about the St. Giles' Cathedral. 
I did and boy, was the wind trying to knock me off the bridge. 

You'll find plenty of tourist shops along the road leading to the Edinburgh Castle.
Do not bother comparing prices because they have obviously been agreed on by collective owners.
You most probably would not get a difference more than 5quid unless you walk real far away from the tourist central. 

Somewhere further down this road, some run-away-James-Bond scene occurred on my 3rd night here.
Helicopters, police cars and road blocks were all around. Word on the street was that someone was running away from the enforcements and decided to take the 'high road' (ie. the roof).
The crime scene was 2 blocks away from my place. How exciting.



The cost of food in Edinburgh vs. Liverpool; Edinburgh was much more expensive.
This includes eats away from tourist central.

Edinburgh Castle (paid entry).
Start with the free tour offered within the castle compounds. From there, make your own way to parts of the castle that interests you. Else, you'll take the whole day exploring the city within.
The Scotland's crown jewels are also located inside the castle.



There is a small souvenir shop in the castle grounds, which sells a small variety of Scotch Whiskey.
Despite having my fill from the Whiskey Experience, I waltz in for a free whiskey sample they were giving around. 
I am not a fan of strong whiskey. 
Tried and tasted enough aged whiskies to conclude that I am repulsed at their scent.
But I still try new ones everytime opportunity arises to find 'the one'.
I bought a bottle (Bruadar 22%) from the castle ground's shop for 22.99quid because it had a sweet undertone that was more prominent that the commercial Jack Daniels Honey Whiskey.
Wasn't 'the one' but I think my brother would enjoy it.

TOM RIDDLE! (well, almost)
The name here inspired Voldemort's real name.
Could you believe that Rowling brought her toddler daughter to the graveyard for a walk and for inspiration for Harry Potter? I guess parks were too passe. 

Do the Potter Trail.
It's free but you get to tip the guide if you think he's worth it.
I thought the tour was excellent! 

The real Diagonalley. 

The Museum.

Greyfrair's Kirkyard, home to the McKenzie Poltergeist stories.
Behind these gates is the place where McKenzie locked up prisoners without food and shelter.
His haunted grave is nearby.

If you're a fan of horror stories, go for any of the plethora of haunted tours along The Royal Mile. 
Although I'm no big fan of boogie man (Bear is), I enjoyed the historical part of the tour. 
I just love some good history lessons. 


You don't see many men walking in kilts here. Plaids are so in fashion lately, I'm surprised. 





The Royal Botanic Garden. Again, a sucker for flowers.
Autumn showed its true colours here. 















Edinburgh is a city with many old structures. I love the combination of its history and modern development integrated into one coherent theme. It's perfect for a city girl, who also craves for the countryside.


No comments:

Post a Comment